Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Letter to Kate...

***In following the example of my good friend, Lauren, I am going to write a blog-letter to my kids on their birthdays to highlight my thoughts about and feelings for them at this particular time in their lives. Thanks for the inspiration, Lo.***

My dear Kate,


It is almost unfathomable to me that 3 years ago this time I didn't even know if you were a boy or a girl. Now I feel like you couldn't have been anybody but Kate Ryleigh. You have been such a blessed addition to our lives and I can hardly wait to see what you are going to do in the years to come. These past 3 years have flown and in that short amount of time you have changed so much. The things you have done and the person you've become have kept us both awed and entertained. You have this huge personality in a tiny little body and, while at times you make me crazy, I wouldn't have you any other way. While you are goofy, dramatic, and expressive, you can be so shy. You are sweet and loving, but independent and stubborn. At times you are so predictable- when you are hungry...watch out! Then there are times when we just don't know how you are going to react to something. It's those unpredictable times that are the biggest challenge with you these days. So often I can see the internal struggle you have with yourself when I have told you to do or not to do something and you want to do the opposite. Usually your obedient side wins but its not easy on you. You know what you like, how you like it and when. You want do things your way, on your own time and only then. This has proved to be a challenge for your mommy as she is the same way (oh what will we do during the teenage years?!). =) We have recently had some tough days with you testing the waters to see how far you can push me. Those days are such roller coasters with you because one minute you are being such a beast and in the next you are cracking me up. Some of the things that come out of your mouth leave me in hysterics and you love it. Usually once you realize you have made us laugh you'll repeat whatever you said or did over and over...unless, remember that unpredictable side I talked about earlier?...you may just get embarrassed thinking we're laughing AT you rather than with you and then, again, watch out! But I think that is all part of being a girl and, boy, are you are all girl. You are a natural born mommy. I love watching you pretend to take care of your "babies"- you always do such a good job. You are quick to strip anyone who walks in our front door of their high heel and handbag so that you may try them on. Your weakness is chocolate and to prove you are so my child you recently said to me, "Mommy, I just love chocolate and doughnuts!" Ah, yes, I have raised you well. You are becoming a social little thing, especially as you make more and more friends. You love to go to church to see your friends, you always want to go to Disneyland with your friends, and we constantly talk about and look at pictures on the computer of your friends (thank goodness for the blogs so you can keep up). Your new favorite bedtime routine is reading bible stories. Your all time favorite is Adam & Eve and you quickly concluded that God put Adam & Eve in a time out when He banished them from the Garden of Eden. Your words, "That's very naughty! They don't listen to God so they got a time out!" I love to listen to your version of the things around you. Our conversations are certainly never boring and I still can't get over how observant you are. Many times when we are talking I find myself amazed that you are actually able to carry on such a conversation and make the assessments you make. It is not often that you have nothing to say. Your poor little voice doesn't get much of a break because when you are not talking you are singing. Your favorite songs right now are "The Name Game" (Kate, Kate, bo-bate, banana fana fo fate...), "Part of your World" from the Little Mermaid, "Our Song" by Taylor Swift, "Keep Holding On" by Avril Lavigne. Often times you manage to squish all of those songs into one belting them out at the top of your lungs for all the world to hear. The dancing that goes along with the singing is by far my favorite. You are going to do quite well in dance classes, of that I'm sure.

I'm so proud of you, Kate, for everything you can do now and all the things you will do so soon. My hope and prayer for you is to become a kind, compassionate, strong, Godly woman. I want you to be happy and fulfilled in whatever you choose to do with your life. I have no doubt you will be driven and successful and I can't wait to see it. I love you! Happy 3rd birthday!


love, Mommy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im crying...

lauren and brad said...

I'm crying too!