Friday, June 10, 2011

Music in Our Community...

Have I mentioned I'm now on the board of our Neighborhood Association? =) Sarah recently became our Vice President and recruited me to get involved in our little community here...our neighborhood is made up of 4 quadrants divided by a main street and a flood channel. So when our President, Stacy, called me up to see how exactly I'd like to serve, my first thought was membership. I figured very few of our 1,300 "neighbors" even knew we had an association and wanted to be part of making it known. So, here I am, chairperson of our Membership Committee. My first goal was to plan a community event that was casual and easy for the families of our neighborhood to come together and get to know each other. We have a great resource in our little park just down the street from our house and we never utilize it. Our group of friends always enjoy the concerts in the park that the city puts on in various parks during the summer so I thought it would be fun to plan a "mini" concert in the park just for our neighborhood! Sarah, Stacy, and I put our heads together and a great day came together last Sunday! We hired The Joneses Band and invited all our neighbors to pack up a picnic dinner and join us for a fun evening in the 'hood. Sarah and I did so much leg-work, gathering gift cards from local restaurants for a raffle and passing out newsletters to a majority of our neighbors (3 days of walking door-to-door in 2 quadrants and most of the other 2) that it was great to see it turn into a pretty successful event. John and I were definitely able to get to know some of our street neighbors better and meet others from the other quadrants. We're hoping to at least make it an annual summer kick-off event that more and more of our neighbors will attend!

Our VP and Prez, Sarah & Stacy at the check-in table...


The girls helping Stacy draw raffle tickets...

The kids loved the band and I don't blame them. If you are ever in the need of live music, call me. These guys were fantastic and we highly recommend them!



It ended up being a pretty perfect day for fun at the park!

No comments: