Saturday, December 20, 2008

Paci fairy...

As of Wednesday night, Kate has officially taken the last step out of baby/toddler-hood into being a real big girl. Her paci has been a huge comfort for her since she was 2 months old and, as we've s-l-o-w-l-y weaned her away from it, the thought of taking it away completely was too much. I knew it was going to be rough so I've majorly procrastinated. For the past couple of years she has only been allowed to have her paci at nap and bedtime. My goal had been to get it away from her at 2 years old, then at 2 1/2, then at 3 but I'd always chicken out or feel too bad to take it since she loved it so much. Several weeks ago, though, I looked at her at bedtime with that thing in her mouth and thought she looked ridiculous. So we set the date, made a countdown calendar, and talked up the "Paci Fairy" (much like the tooth fairy). She never got completely on board but she knew it was coming. On our set date, December 17th, we put the paci in a little bag and hung it on the front door knob.


A major meltdown did ensue and I felt like the meanest mom ever but by 9 pm she was sound asleep and has only asked for it a couple of times since. I so underestimate my children's ability to cope and realize my anxiety is always way worse than their responses to change. We're very proud of Kate and she was thrilled with her gift from the Paci Fairy.

Good job, Kate!

2 comments:

Brenna said...

I dread the day....

lauren and brad said...

OK. I am sitting her bawling. so so so sad.