Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Homework...

We're finishing up our fourth week of 1st grade this week and making a lot of adjustments. Kate's doing really well, though. Last year in kindergarten the one or two days a week of homework did not go well. Kate didn't want to do the work and I got frustrated when she didn't focus...it usually did not end with smiles, to say the least. So when her teacher this year mentioned that they would have homework every night in 4 subjects, I cringed a bit. In an attempt to head off nightly fights and homework frustration, I made up a homework chart with a few incentives. So far, so good! We've completed almost 3 weeks of homework with only one day of whining! Yay, Kate! Five happy face stickers in a week means that every day she had a good attitude during the homework hour and will earn an ice cream/frozen yogurt date with Mommy or Daddy; four stickers earns a cinnamon roll breakfast; three stickers earns cookie making with Mommy. (Yes, I do realize all the prizes are junk food. Judge me if you must.) Long term...  20 happy face stickers = go roller skating; 19 = date with Mommy & Daddy; 18 = buy a DVD. Kate was very excited about her chart and has already earned a cinnamon roll Saturday and went to ice cream with Daddy. So far this week, it looks like Mommy may get to do a frozen yogurt date! ;)

Keep up the good work, Kate!!

2 comments:

Kat said...

Homework! I wish I could say it gets easier..but that would be a lie. Somedays I have to google what is on Serena's homework in hopes of remembering it. It feels like "are you smarter than a 5th grader" most days. BUT you are starting early with teaching her a good attitude and that will do you both wonders later on! You're a good mom Shanna!

Amber said...

i think that's an EXCELLENT idea and one we may need to implement. not so much getting it done but remembering to bring all the tools home that we need!
Go Kate!