Sunday, March 28, 2010

8th Anniversary...

This week John and I celebrated our 8 year wedding anniversary and enjoyed a just-the-two-of-us-trip to Pismo Beach. We try our best to go somewhere new each year to celebrate and have taken some pretty fun trips. This year was no different.


We left the kids with my parents and drove up on Sunday afternoon, hitting some really nasty traffic through L.A. (Seriously! On a Sunday afternoon?! Where are all you people going?!) This had me a little tense but we soon arrived at our hotel, The Cliffs Resort. After literally dropping our bags and grabbing a quick dinner at a local pizza place, we had a fabulous couples massage at the hotel spa. It was John's first massage and he's hooked. =) It was a great way to start off a relaxing weekend.

Part of our room and our view from the balcony

On Monday morning, we had breakfast at the hotel restaurant, walked down the cliffs to the beach, and got in a work-out at the hotel gym. By noon, we headed out for a little self-guided tour of the local wineries. I, of course, had done the research and had our map and directions all set...but, in an effort to truly relax, I kept repeating to myself "We are NOT on a schedule. We have no place to be. If we get to it, we get to it. No hurry." It was rough, but I survived AND enjoyed myself. =) We tried some great wines, talked to a lot of nice locals, and just enjoyed being together. During a stop in downtown San Luis Obispo, we came across "Bubble Gum Alley". As seen in the picture below, the walls of both sides of this alley are COVERED in people's ABC (already been chewed) gum! DISgusting! We did not partake and add any gum to the wall...I just couldn't bring myself to touch it. It made for a pretty colorful picture, but so gross. =)


Tuesday, our actual anniversary, was our last day and we used up every last second staying at the hotel reading until the 12 noon check out time. We made a quick stop in Los Olivos to pick up a couple of favorites discovered last year and headed home with one last kid-free meal at In-n-Out on the way. It was a very nice couple of days and I'm already planning next year. =)

4 comments:

Brenna said...

I threw up in my mouth when I saw the picture of bubble gum alley. That's the grossest thing I've ever seen. I can't believe you got that close.

Andi said...

Nice pics! I can't believe that alley is all gum...hey, i thought you were gonna leave the planning to John for next year:) Glad you had a good time.

Michelle said...

Happy Anniversary!

Looks like a fabulous weekend together.

:o)

Lee said...

Happy belated anniversary!
Your family is so beautiful -- all of you.

Build a new gum wall at home!