Happy Easter, everyone! This morning after everyone was up we started our celebration. This was the first year of establishing our Easter traditions that I hope will last for many years. We had our Resurrection Rolls, then hunted for Easter baskets with an Easter egg scavenger hunt. Each egg had a clue to where to find the next egg...5 eggs later they found their baskets from Daddy & Mommy in the dryer. With Kate getting older and more able to understand things, I have been thinking a lot lately about the observance of Easter and how to teach her why we celebrate. We decided to nix the Easter bunny and focus more on the reason for the holiday. As Christians this is our holiday, even more than Christmas, this is the foundation of our Christian faith. It is the perfect opportunity for me to teach my children about the greatest sacrifice made by God, giving His Son to die a horrible death to insure our salvation. Kate knows of the Easter bunny and we won't forbid participation in egg hunts or visiting the Easter bunny (if they ask) but our celebration will be of Jesus' death and resurrection for our sins.
We headed to church in our Easter best and enjoyed a great sermon on hope. All of the kids looked so cute in their Easter outfits, matching or coordinating with their siblings. After church we stopped by John's parents house and got a cute family picture.

Then over to my parents for an afternoon full of food, Easter egg hunts (pretty sure we had about 20), visiting, playing, and way too much sugar. It proved to be impossible to get a picture of Kate, Luke, and Brooklyn but here's one cute one I did get...I think it's a framer.

Happy Easter! He is Risen!
6 comments:
What a handsome family you are. LOVE IT!
I love the huge smile on Luke's face where he is eating the chocolate. Too precious.
Amber V.
such great pictures! I love your idea of putting clues all around the house - what a fun tradition! The picture of Kate opening the egg is great! I also love the pic of Luke & Kate at the bottom of the blog - adorable :)
I love that family picture. You look great Shanna! I love your Easter tradition about teaching more about why we have Easter than celebrating the Easter Bunny. It looks like your kids had a wonderful time :)
A lovely dad indeed.
Great post, Shanna.
It is so easy to succumb to the world's way of celebrating when the truth is - without the Cross Christmas means nothing!
Easter is the REASON Christian's have hope ... it is never too early to teach such an important treasure to your children.
Love you,
Michelle
Have you ever seen the resurrection eggs? We have them at church, and I do them every year with my class. There are 12 eggs, and each has something inside to tell the easter story. One has a whip, a cross, a donkey, a cup, praying hands, a crown of thorns, a peice of linen,a rock,ect, and the last one is empty. Each represents a peice of the story, so after the kids hunt for them , we open them one at a time, in order to tell the story. They are awesome, and even though most of the kids have seen them before they get just as into it everytime.
Post a Comment