Thursday, April 09, 2009

Resurrection Rolls...

Tonight Kate and I made Resurrection/He Has Risen Rolls. We followed the instructions of a very cute blog that Rachel introduced us to, Mustard Seeds. It was a great experience for both of us and the outcome was more than delicious! I was actually shocked by how good these things were. The preparation was so fun, too. Kate just loves spending time alone with us and had a great time. She had some pretty funny things to say. At one point she was having some trouble accepting help and when I mentioned we were having some issues she said, "Yeah, because you're the boss and I don't like it." It was very calm and matter-of-fact and I couldn't help but laugh. She also got really into the story behind the rolls:



Marshmallow symbolizes Jesus, pure white and sinless.



Luke had to check out the action before going to bed.





Butter represents the anointing oil and the cinnamon/sugar symbolize the spices that were put on Jesus' body after He was crucified.


Wrapped in biscuit dough and sealed like the tomb, the dough is rolled into balls representing the stone rolled in front of the tomb.




After baking, the "tomb" is empty...He has Risen!!



The rolls taste sweet..."Easter is a time to celebrate the sweetest gift of all--our salvation through Jesus."

This will definitely be a new Easter tradition for our family. I think it's a great one for Easter morning, as the rolls are much like cinnamon rolls. I highly recommend checking out the recipe on the website above and making them with your little ones. **They are really yummy warm out of the oven but the marshmallow doesn't completely disappear until they are completely.** cool.

5 comments:

Nani Shirl said...

What an awesome tradition to start with your sweet family. I love your blog! It's fun to read. You and John have become wonderful parents and I'm so glad you keep Christ in the center of your lives. I'm very proud of you both.

Shandra and Christian said...

What a cool idea! I might have to steal this recipe from you for next year :)

ThE nIcHoLs FaMiLy said...

I love it! I can't wait until Teagan is big enough to do these things :)

Andi said...

cute tradition, and the rolls look soo yummy. I love how you capture all these cute one to one moments. i'm learning alot of great "mommy" doings from you, Shanna. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

They turned out great! Thanks for linking to me. Happy Easter! Janna