A view of the house coming in off the lake...

Luke wasn't as crazy about the water as he was running around the boat. He took at least one nap every day on the boat and even fell asleep at the wheel- good thing Grampa was there to take over the driving.
John, Kate, Luke and I made the 5 hour drive to Oklahoma City and had a great couple of days visiting our friends, the Schatzels. They very generously opened their adorable home to us and showed us a very good time.
Kate loves "baby Ben".
Kate loves "baby Ben".We visited the memorial at the site of the Oklahoma bombing. The most heartbreaking part for me was the chairs. In the grass area (where the building stood) they have set up copper chairs, engraved with a name, each representing a person who died in the bombing. The chairs come in two sizes- the smaller ones being for the children who were killed.
We also visited "Bricktown", Oklahoma City's downtown area that is so cute. They converted their old industrial area into a really nice place for shopping and dining.
Some of the sights along the road between Arkansas and Oklahoma include many abandoned houses and other structures. We saw a few billboards that are unique to the south and very refreshing. And, of course, cows.


In the need for an outing and a break from the humidity, we found a cute little place called Little Bitty City. It's a fun indoor play place that the kids really enjoyed.
Here's a shot of the beard John grew during the first week. It was much fuller a couple of days later but the itching finally drove him to shave it off. 

















4 comments:
Isn't it ironic how vacations leave you needing another vacation to recover?
What fun! I am aching for a vacation right now so jealous doesn't even begin to describe what I am feeling right now. :) Sometimes I think I was a girl made for life in the south and then I remember the humidity.Your grandparents house is beautiful! Glad you had fun. Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.
I hear ya sister on needing a vay-k from vay-k!! I am planning a girls trip to santa ynez Aug 22nd if u are interested???
Welcome home, Shanna!
It looks like a wonderful time was had by everyone.
It's funny because as a kid you remember the delight and ease of vacation but your parents look at you like you are NUTS! And now we all know why! :o)
The best way to balance it - get away at least once, if not twice a year, ALONE with your man!
Enjoy getting back into normal life again!
Michelle
Post a Comment