Monday, March 10, 2008

Off we go...

Tomorrow is the big day! We are taking 2 days to move everything we own 3 miles to our new home. Overwhelmed doesn't even come close the how we are feeling. I'm so dreading the next couple of days, oh, let's face it, it's gonna be a rough couple of weeks. I REALLY don't like feeling unsettled but it's the price you pay. So as we leave our sweet little first home, I'm am filled with feeling of nostalgia and a little sad. It's a great house and it's hard to wrap my brain around the fact that after Wednesday we'll never be back here again. I look around and think about that fact that everything here (down to the doorknobs) were picked, saved for, and/or done by us. It's really fun to think back at what this house looked like when we first moved in. Our plastic table and chairs set up in the dining room; slip covered hand-me-down couch; old hand-me-down side table posing as our coffee table; etc. There's been a lot of growing up done in this house- not only for us but for our decor. =) A lot of thought went into everything we've done to make this our home and it's hard not to feel very attached. Before we started packing, I went around and took as many pictures as I could to remember and to one day show the kids. Here are some of my favorites. My little "ode to McNab". =)

Kate's big girl room

The striped wall is one thing I'm so sad to leave. My mom and I spent a couple of hours taping the stripes so John could paint them about a week before Kate was born. I may just enlist her help again in Luke's room at the new house to recreate them. ;)
The wainscoting in the dining room was a vision of mine since the day we moved in. This room was the first room in the house that was "completed".
So, as we say goodbye to our first home, it's not without very fond memories and slightly heavy hearts. I can't wait for the new place to feel like home and for the new memories to start.

5 comments:

The last Unicorn said...

I remember moving when I was young. It wasn't very far, just down the street. But it was sad to think I was leaving a place I had so many childhood memories. I ended up returning to the old house quite often because I became the new owners babysitter, so you never know. This may not be good bye for good. I am so excited for you guys to move into your new home. I hope I get a chance to visit it :)

Emily said...

such a beautiful home you have made......I so understand the bitter-sweetness of the moving! :) It is good you are taking lots of pictures

Anonymous said...

Memories will keep McNab "alive" and pretty soon, your new home will have more memories than you can imagine~like GREAT memories with the REEVES when we come over :):)
Cant wait to see the new place!

lauren and brad said...

oh, i'm gonna miss ol' mcnab so much...

all those days we spent scrapping on the floor, watching te-voed shows that you had to show me, and eating together while we talked away on your big comfy couch. :(

goodbye dear old house.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new house!!! We are soooo excited for you guys. We can't wait for the first BBQ date!!