My little Luke,
A year has never flown by so fast. I can't believe my baby is one-year-old. How can that be?! While it's hard to even remember a time you weren't here, it seems like only yesterday we were bringing you home for the first time. Over the course of this last year I have gone from being amazed at how mellow you are to being amazed at how active you are. I look back at blog postings from your first months and laugh at myself when I describe how lucky we were to have been blessed with such an easy-going baby. Little did I know then that in the very near future I was going to be running my tail off to keep up with you (and your not even really walking yet!).
I still feel extremely blessed, though. You have become such a boy- destructive, curious, daring, lovable, and passionate. You are passionate about how much you love us, smothering us with your kisses (literally smothering, sometimes I have to pull you off just to catch a breath), and you are passionate about getting your way. Yes, already and since you were about 10 months old, you have not been afraid to voice your objections when you feel you have been wronged. Your love for phones and remote controls has made these "objections" (aka temper tantrums) a daily thing. My darling son, you can throw a tantrum reminiscent of a veteran toddler, complete with kicking legs and rolling across the room. But aside from those moments, you are usually busy looking for something you can get into, crawl up or over, push across the room, or pound on. You nap a little, eat a lot, and go, go, go. Even the pediatrician frequently comments on your activity level. Just this week you started walking more than you have since your first couple of steps several weeks ago. As soon as you perfect that skill you are going to be blissfully happy! Not only are you active, you can be quite loud. You have learned well from your sister how to make your presence known but have not learned when it is or is not appropriate, often times drawing a lot of unwanted attention to us. It seems when the environment around you is too quiet, you like to mix it up a little so you'll give out an ear-piercing, albeit happy, shriek or start "talking" loud enough for, say, an entire restaurant to hear you. But you are so cute that when the volume attracts attention, those around you can't help but forget the interruption. 

I think my favorite thing about you is your loving character. You adore us and we know it. You love your daddy and I can already tell you want to be just like him. You two have a special bond that is often communicated through wrestling around and practicing your tackling. No one has ever felt more loved than I do when you look at me. There are times when you grab my face and gaze into my eyes as if to say, "I just love you so much!" When I pick you up from the nursery at church or come home after leaving you your excitement to see me can turn into sheer panic as you frantically crawl toward me. Then there is your Kate. I love to watch your face light up when your sister walks in a room. When she gets up in the morning or comes in after nap you greet her as though you've missed her immensely. The two of you are great friends already which gives me more joy than you could ever know. You try your hardest to keep up with her and are thrilled when you can catch her.
I can hardly get enough of my Lukey-poo (I know you are just going to love that nickname forever). Even when you are clingy, anytime you are tired or overstimulated, all you have to do is smile at me and I don't ever want to put you down. With one little look you can melt me. I'm so excited for the experiences we have to look forward to with a boy in the house. But I look forward to these with mixed emotions because part of me wants to freeze time and keep you as my baby forever. Since I can't do that, though, I am trying my hardest to enjoy every bit of you. You still love to be rocked to sleep and I will do it as long as you'll let me knowing that too soon those moments will just be a memory. I love you, my little man. Happy first birthday!
love, Mommy
P.S. One year check-up report: 19 lbs. 2 oz. (6th percentile), 28 3/4 inches (25th percentile), 47 inch head circumference (62nd percentile), healthy & active =)
No comments:
Post a Comment