Thursday, October 25, 2007

More of me...

I recently saw a commercial for a Lifetime movie starring Molly Shannon called "More of Me". What a wonderful concept! In one scene, she is looking in a 3 piece mirror wishing there were more of her and her 3 reflections step out of the mirror to lend a hand. Now, being a stay-at-home mom of two, I can fully appreciate the idea that it would be so nice if I could just split myself in half. One half to deal with one child and the other half to deal with the other child. Even better, if there were 4 of me: one for each child, one for my husband and one for myself (maybe I'd actually get a bathroom break or a meal on time). I'm not very good at asking for help nor do I necessarily want to accept it when it's offered. My problem is feeling like if I get help with something, I have somehow failed or admitted that I can't do it all myself. There is also the guilt that comes with mommy territory...mostly I feel guilty that Luke doesn't get the attention Kate always had and that Kate doesn't get the attention she has become accustom to. I can't even feel okay when Kate gets attention from others because I feel guilty that it's not coming from me. Am a warped or what?! So on days like today when toddler emotions are a little unbalanced, Mommy's patience is running low, and naps are way too short I have to vent and move on. Taking every task one step at a time keeps me from either spontaneously combusting or completely losing my mind. I know every mom out there knows exactly what I'm talking about and that does give me some peace of mind. =) It may sound like I'm complaining but...oh, who am I kidding, I am complaining...as busy and exhausting as life can be I wouldn't trade it for anything. How could I when I get to look at these two every day. So here's the question of the day: Whether you are a mom or not, what are your secrets to success when you have one of those overwhelming, I wish there were more of me days?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your question - Whether you are a mom or not, what are your secrets to success when you have one of those overwhelming, I wish there were more of me days?
my answer - take it to the Lord in prayer. ask for just a bit more strength for the day. also listen to Christian music whenever you have the chance and maybe a song will speak to your heart.

lauren and brad said...

you answered your own question honey...first vent and second look at your two angels and let your heart melt at what joy they bring you. of course you want to pull your hair out...but life would be so boring without them! :)

i think you are the world's greatest mom. you inspire me and will continue to provide me endless guidance...esp. now that baby schatz is arriving any day! xoxo